This is really delicious, and pretty easy. There is no pasta in it, and you won't miss it at all. I made a batch of Grand's biscuits to go with it, brushing the top of each biscuit with melted butter mixed with granulated garlic.
- 1 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ inch slices, or one-half bag frozen Italian vegetable mix
- 1-14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained, or 1/2 can garbanzos plus 1/2 can dark red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, if desired
Publix frozen Italian vegetable mix has zucchini, carrots, cauliflower, Italian green beans, and baby limas, and works really well in this soup.
- Cook the sausage with a little olive oil in a Dutch oven, over medium heat, until some fat renders. Add the onion, garlic, some kosher salt, black pepper, a pinch of light brown sugar, and the Italian seasoning. Continue to cook until the sausage is no longer pink and the vegetables are soft. Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up any large tomato pieces. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes or to your taste.
- Sprinkle each serving with the Parmesan cheese, if desired.