Sunday, July 31, 2011

Gâteau de Pêche dans le modèle de ma Tante Ceil - 7/31/11


That's Peach Cake in the style of my Aunt Ceil.  I have no idea if it is good French grammar, as the last time I studied French was in fourth grade.  I can count up to fifteen, and tell you what my name is, and that the dog's name is Fifi.  If there is an error in the title, please blame it on Babel Fish and not my fourth grade teacher. 

Aunt Ceil with granddaughter Lisa

My Aunt Ceil was my maternal grandmother's sister, and I loved her dearly.  Of course, I didn't have to live with her. I did have to live with my grandmother, and we all know how that turned out. Apparently she and my grandmother had more in common than their maiden name.  But throughout my life, she was a constant positive presence, as we spent most Saturdays with her and my cousin Cary.  Those Saturdays were a chance to drive out to "the country" - which from Brooklyn meant traveling along the Southern State Parkway to Bellmore - and to have dinner out, and then to return to my Aunt's house to spend the afternoon playing with my younger brother and my cousin while the adults chatted or played cards.  We three kids were inseparable back then, and those were good times.

Cary, Elliot, and I, in front of Aunt Ceil's house in Bellmore

My Aunt Ceil, like my grandmother, always set out a nice table.  Food was paramount, and it was important that there was plenty of it, and that it was good.  Aunt Ceil was a fine cook, hostess, and all-around balaboosteh (there's that Yiddish again), but she was one thing my grandmother wasn't, and that was a baker.  My grandmother never baked, except twice I remember her baking Moon Cookies, a very plain, poppy seed cookie which I love but everyone else says "eh."  At least it's not "feh".  Aunt Ceil baked cheesecake to die for, and an apple cake that was both very Jewish in it's use of oil instead of butter, it's lack of icing, it's reliance on fruit, and very delicious.

I have taken that recipe and changed it to accommodate the peaches I picked up in Georgia last weekend.  It actually struck me as rather elegant, so I ran the title through Babel Fish and here we are.

Gâteau de Pêche dans le modèle de ma Tante Ceil

4-5 Elberta peaches, halved, pitted, and sliced (leave the skin on)
2 tablespoons butter
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup of Sun-Maid brand Fruit Bits (raisins, golden raisins, dried apricots, dried apples, dried peaches, dried plums, dried cherries), softened in hot water for 5-10 minutes, then well-drained
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup peach cider

Melt the butter in a large nonstick frying pan.  Add the peaches and saute till lightly browned.  Add the lemon juice.  Add the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon, and the drained fruit bits.  Let cook together briefly then take off the heat and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spray or lightly grease a square or round baking dish in the 8-9 inch range.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 3/4 cup sugar.  Add the eggs, oil, vanilla, and peach cider.  Beat well with a mixer.  Pour about half of the batter into the prepared pan.  Cover that with half of the peaches.  Pour about half the remaining batter over the peaches; don't worry if it doesn't cover everything.  Repeat with the remaining peaches and batter, and place the baking dish on the middle rack of the oven.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Let cool until close to room temperature, and then serve with some whipped cream

No comments:

Post a Comment