Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana and Sweet Grape Tomatoes with Mushrooms and Pesto - 5/7/11

So I made the chicken parm as an afterthought, and both Rob and Cory were effusive in their praise.  And Cory says, "you did write it down, didn't you?"  Well, no I didn't.  Who needs a recipe for chicken parm? 

Then I realized I sounded just like my mother and every other little old Jewish and Italian grandma who would never give you a straight answer when you asked for a recipe, because they cooked by eye.   You know, like how much salt, Grandma?  Just enough, she says.  And how long do I cook it?  Until it looks right, she says.  That sort of thing.  Oy oy oy.
So I'm writing it down, exactly as I made it this time.  Next time, who knows?

Chicken Parmigiana and Manicotti

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds, and for goodness sakes, wait for a sale)
all purpose flour for dredging

kosher salt, black pepper, and Emeril's Essence (look, you can use any spice blend that tickles your fancy, or even add some Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence or granulated garlic or whatever.  I happen to like Emeril's Essence.  If you don't want to buy it, you can mix it up yourself, the same way I mix up The Lady's House Seasoning.)

olive oil and canola oil for sauteeing

1-24 oz. jar Classico Caramelized Onion and Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce  (I really think it was this sauce that did it)

1-14 oz. package Celentano frozen cheese-filled manicotti

1/2 of an 8 oz. package of shredded pepper jack cheese

1-8 oz. package of sliced mozzarella (I used Publix brand and it was perfect for this)

Take a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and cover bottom with some of the sauce mixed with a little water.  Place the four manicotti along the edges of the dish, and cover with some more of the sauce mixed with a little water.  Set aside while you beat up on the chicken.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

I cut each breast into four smaller pieces:  first I turn it over and carefully remove the rib piece.  Then I turn it right side up, and cut off the lower triangular piece.  What is left is the thickest part of the breast, and I cut that crosswise so I now have two thinner pieces.  Lay the pieces on top of a cutting board, then cover with wax paper, and with the flat side of a wooden mallet, whack them until they are a little thinner.

In a gallon ziploc bag put your flour and spices, then add half the chicken pieces and shake to coat.  Heat about 2 tablespoons each of the olive oil and canola oil, shake off the excess flour from each piece, and  brown the chicken in the hot oil until lightly golden on both sides.  When they are done, remove them and place them in the pan with the manicotti.  Repeat with the remaining chicken, adding more oil if needed.  Mix the remaining sauce with a little more water, then pour over the dish, especially the manicotti.  Sprinkle the pepper jack cheese over everything, and then cover that with the slices of mozzarella.  Bake uncovered in the oven about 40 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly. 

I'm going to post this picture again, because it has the manicotti and chicken parm on the right of the plate, and the Sweet Grape Tomatoes with Mushrooms and Pesto at 12 o'clock.  Those are the turnip greens snuggled up with the manicotti, and the Eggplant with Curried Seafood Sauce on the left. 


I had a half pint of grape tomatoes languishing in my vegetable bin, subsequent to the other half's use in the Muffuletta Salad I prepared last week.  I really try not to waste, so I came up with this quickie vegetable dish.  I usually have a small jar of store bought pesto in the refrigerator, and the mushrooms were on sale.  Banzai!

Sweet Grape Tomatoes with Mushrooms and Pesto

1/2 pint sweet grape tomatoes
kosher salt, black pepper, sugar
extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup diced bell peppers (any color)
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon (or more) of Classico Traditional Basil Pesto
1-8 oz. package of sliced white mushrooms

Heat the olive oil over medium high in a large frying pan.  Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar, and the pesto, saute for about a minute, then add the bell peppers and onions.  Saute another minute, then add the mushrooms.  Saute until the tomatoes begin to pop, taste and adjust seasoning (add more pesto to taste).  The sweet tomatoes with the sharp pesto and pleasantly bland mushrooms are unexpectedly good together.

Cook like there's nobody watching, and eat like it's heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment